Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DIY Marbleized Ornaments

Project of the Day:

 I found some hollow glass ornaments for a ridiculously cheap price at Michael's with the intention of making some cool painted glass ornaments like these:


















(sources: Here for multi-colored ones or Here for neon ones)

      First I tried the fairly easy ones from Young House Love- but the paint colors I used (matte white and blue) just didn't look like anything super special- so I washed them out and tried the multi-colored ornaments. Maybe it was the paint I was using or maybe I'm just glass-ornament-filled-with-paint challenged... but either way I failed miserably and they looked NOTHING like the gorgeous ones I had pinned. Instead I decided to just start mixing paints with a little white in hopes of getting a marbleized effect.
Magic happened- and it WORKED! This method takes a little patience- since if you mix the paints too much or too quickly you'll get a muddy look rather than a marbleized one. Patient is one thing I am not when it comes to crafting- but these looked so cool I actually managed to sit myself down for long enough to make 6 of them in different colors.

Here's the easy step-by-step:

Step 1: Pour a good amount of whatever you want your main color to be in a bowl and mix around to warm it up. I know that sound ridiculous but some acrylic paints are really thick and need to be stirred to make them easier to work with.

 Step 2: Drip a few dots of white paint (or a lighter shade of the paint you're using) all around your main color
 Step 3: Drag your brush once around just enough to barely make the dots blur
 Step 4: Pour a good amount of the mix in the glass ornament and begin to slowly twirl the ornament
 Step 5: If need be- pour in another helping of paint on another side of the ornament-it will end up giving the ornament an almost paneled look

 Step 6: Repeat with other colors and enjoy!








Obviously the darker your base color is the better the white swirls will stand out- but a whole set in shades of one color would definitely be cool.

What do you think??
Easy enough for a holiday DIY?


7 comments:

  1. What do I think? I think I love them. If I looked up marbleized ornaments on Google, this is exactly what I would hope to find. They're beautiful!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment Carly! You're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely feel this site needs much more attention.
    I'll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the information!

    my homepage; interesting web site

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are super gorgeous. My problem is getting the marbleized paint INTO the glass ball. Any hints?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! This was much easier than what I had tried before. :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...